What’s next for LGBTIQ+ Rights and Football?
24 February 2021
The Fare v Homophobia conference (24-25 February) will take place as part of the Football v Homophobia month of action and examine sport’s role in countering LGBTIQ+ exclusion.
Across two afternoons, the online conference will celebrate the role of LGBTIQ+ people in sport and examine what more football can and should be doing to fight discrimination. Sessions will explore the pressing issues affecting LGBTIQ+ rights, including how mega events can move beyond the rainbow and affect long-lasting change, how queer leadership can bring about greater representation on and off the pitch, as well as sport’s policing of women’s bodies and much more.
The line-up of 30 speakers from over 15 countries will include:
- Helena Dalli, EU Commissioner for Equality;
- Malin Björk, Vice-President of the European Parliament’s LGBTI Intergroup;
- Johanna Wood, President, New Zealand Football, FIFA Council member and leading light in the FIFA Womens World Cup 2023
- Klara Bjartmarz, General Secretary, Iceland FA;
- Kelly Simmons, Director of Women’s Professional Football at the English FA;
- Pernille Harder, Chelsea and Danish International;
- Ryan Russell, NFL Defensive End;
- Anita Asante, Aston Villa, Former England international;
- Alex Kay-Jelski, Editor-in-Chief, The Athletic;
- Jon Holmes, Sports Media LGBT+;
- Dawn Ennis, Outsports US;
- Lianne Sanderson, Pundit, Former England international;
- Hugh Torrance, Pride House International;
- Suzi Andreis, Chrzaszczyki SC;
- Natalie Washington, Football v Transphobia;
- and many more!